World-beater or back to the training ground?
Do you think you know your football? If so, test your knowledge with our world football quiz. How many of the 20 questions can you get right?
1. Which Dutch coach managed Trinidad and Tobago at the 2006 FIFA World Cup™ in Germany?
A. Dick Advocaat B. Co Adriaanse C. Leo Beenhakker
2. In which year did Alessandro del Piero join Juventus?
A. 1989 B. 1993 C. 1998
3. In which country’s highest league is there no club called Barcelona?
A. Ecuador B. Uruguay C. Spain
4. Which country does Manchester City striker Benjani Mwaruwari represent?
A. Senegal B. Zimbabwe C. Nigeria
5. In which country did the inaugural FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup take place in 2006?
A. Germany B. China C. Russia
6. In which league do Deportivo Toluca play?
A. Mexican B. Honduran C. Guatemalan
7. Which former international player is not currently the coach of his national team?
A. Marco van Basten (the Netherlands)
B. Matthias Sammer (Germany)
C. Slaven Bilic (Croatia)
8. What size of pitch has the International Football Association Board (IFAB), football’s law-making body, set down for “A” international matches in newly built stadiums?
A. 110×50 metres B. 100×70 metres C. 105×68 metres
9. Trond Sollied, who has held coaching positions in Greece and Belgium among other countries, is to coach Dutch team Heerenveen in the 2008-2009 season. Which nationality is Sollied?
A. Swedish B. Danish C. Norwegian
10. When did the FIFA Confederations Cup make its debut?
A. 1992 in Saudi Arabia B. 1999 in Mexico C. 2001 in Korea and Japan
11. Austrian league leaders Red Bull Salzburg lost 7-0 at home to Rapid Vienna in March. What new record did this result set?
A. It was the highest score worldwide on artificial turf.
B. It was the heaviest ever defeat experienced by then Salzburg Giovanni Trapattoni throughout his long coaching career.
C. It was Rapid’s highest victory since 1953.
12. Sergei Barbarez has played in German football since 1991. Which national team does the forward play for?
A. Bosnia-Herzegovina B. Spain C. Croatia
13. From which club did Argentinian striker Fernando Cavenaghi join Bordeaux in 2007?
A. Spartak Moscow B. Steaua Bucharest C. River Plate
14. What is the nickname of Portugal’s footballing legend Eusebio?
A. “The black panther” B. “The merry waiter” C. “The fearless plough”
15. Which women’s national team won the coveted Algarve Cup this year?
A. China PR B. USA C. Germany
16. Which club did the Argentinian internationals Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano play for in the 2006-2007 season?
A. Portsmouth B. Manchester United C. West Ham United
17. Who are the defending champions in the AFC Champions League?
A. Urawa Red Diamonds B. Shanghai Shenhua C. Qatar SC
18. According to the FIFA Regulations on the Status and Transfer of Players, how many teams may a player be registered to play for during one season?
A. Three B. Fosr C. Two
19. Which milestone did Inter Milan reach on 9 March?
A. 100 home matches without defeat B. 100 years of existence C. 100 titles in all competitions
20. Who scored the winning goal for Egypt in the final of the Africa Cup of Nations 2008?
A. Mohamed Abouterika B. Mido C. Hossam Hassan