Date of birth: 30 June 1977 in Cerrito,Paraguay
Clubs: 1996-2000: Sol de America (Paraguay). 2001-2004: Libertad (Paraguay).2004-2008: Neweil’s Old Boys (Argentina). Since July 2008: Real Valiadolid (Spain).
Honours: 1997; played in the FIFA U-20 World Cup. 2002 and 2003: Paraguayan league championship winner. 2004: Argentinian Apertura winner, Paraguayan footballer of the year. 2006: took part in the 2006 FIFA World Cup™ (playing only seven minutes in Paraguay’s opening match against England due to injury). 53 caps for Paraguay.
20 Questions, 20 Answers:
1. What does football mean to you?
Apart from being my profession, it is a healthy way of life in which you have to operate within certain rules in order to succeed and achieve objectives. It’s the most exciting thing I have experienced in my life.
2. Which club did you support as a child?
3. Did you ever have an idol?
As a boy I always admired people who played in the same position as me, like Ever Almeida or Gato Fernandez some years ago or Jose Luis Chilavert more recently.
4. What is your fondest footballing memory?
I have several: my debut for the senior national side, my first championships with Libercad and Neweil’s Old Boys and my farewell at Neweil’s before I moved to Spain.
5. What has been your biggest disappointment in football?
The injury at the 2006 World Cup in Germany.
6. If you had not become a professional footballer, what would you have become?
I would have studied architecture, I’ve always liked it.
7. What is your favourite type of music?
I like all kinds of music.
8. And your favourite book?
I have read several by Paulo Coelho and I also like self-help books.
9. Your favourite film?
Forrest Gump, John Q., Titanic and epic films.
10. Which is your favourite city?
Asuncion and Rosario.
11. What is your favourite food?
Escalopes with rice and spaghetti carbonara.
12. And your favourite hobby?
I really enjoy fishing with my father.
13. What do you spend most of your money on?
Presents for my three children and electronics.
14. What was your first job?
It was in my village. 1 went fishing with my father and he gave me a share of our earnings, depending on how much we made.
15. Who has been the most influential figure in world history?
Without doubt Jesus Christ.
16. What are you scared of?
17. What was the most embarrassing moment in your life?
When my daughter had an accident; all kinds of thoughts came into my head.
18. How do you see the future of the world?
The selfishness, pride and idleness of the world’s leaders are a danger, but I am optimistic that one day we will realise the harm we are causing and hopefully there will be time to change our ways.
19. Where would you like to go on holiday?
To my village with my childhood friends.
20. Whom would you most like to meet? God.
Are you superstitious? Yes.
Would you play for your country for free? Yes, no question.
After the farewell you received, do you feel that you are an idol at Neweli’s Old B?
No, idols are those who played a lot and won a lot.
Since you are a goalkeeper, do you intend to play beyond the age of 40?
I don’t know, it depends whether I feel like it.
Is the current Paraguay team the best ever?
Not yet, first of all we have to win trophies and have the best World C in the history of Paraguay.