Full name: Giancarlo Gregorio Maldonado Marrero
Date of birth: 29 June 1982 in Caracas (Venezuela)
Height: 1,73 m
Weight: 69 kg
Clubs: 1999-2001: River Plate (Uruguay). 2001-2002: Nacional Tachira (Venezuela). 2002-2003: Mineros (Venezuela). 2003-2006: UA Maracaibo (Venezuela). 2006-2007: O’Higgins (Chile). Since July 2007: Atlante FC (Mexico).
Honours: 2002: Venezuelan league championship winner. 2005: Venezuelan league championship winner and footballer of the year. 2007: Mexican Apertura winner; American Golden Boot winner (top scorer, award shared with the Argentinian Martin Palermo of Boca Juniors). 38 caps for Venezuela, 15 goals (top scorer in the history of the Venezuelan national team).
Miscellaneous: Giancarlo is the son of Carlos Maldonado, who played for and now coaches Deportivo Tachira and was himself a former international with Venezuela
1. What does football mean to you? – It is a passion that I enjoy every day.
2. Which club did you support as a child? – Deportivo Tachira from my home country Venezuela.
3. Did you ever have an idol? – Yes, my father as both a player and a person.
4. What is your fondest footballing memory? – The day I made my debut for my country’s senior national team.
5. What has been your biggest disappointment in football? – Until now football has given me nothing but pleasure. I have learned a lot from difficult experiences that 1 had to go through to get to where I am today, thank God.
6. If you had not become a professional footballer, what would you have become?
An engineer or a lawyer.
7. What is your favourite type of music? – Mainly reggaeton; other than that a bit of everything.
8. And your favourite book? – The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.
9. Your favourite film? – Cast Away starring Tom Hanks.
10. Which is your favourite city? – Cancun.
11. What is your favourite food? – A good barbecue.
12. And your favourite hobby? – Going to the cinema.
13. What do you spend most of your money on? – Food, I like eating all kinds of food.
14. What was your first job? – Working with my grandfather when I was a boy.
15. Who has been the most influential figure in world history? – Albert Einstein.
16. What are you scared of? – Death.
17. What was the most embarrassing moment in your life? – I don’t remember anything in particular, but know that there have been some.
18. How do you see the future of the world? – Well, you have to be positive.
19. Where would you like to go on holiday? – Bariloche, Argentina.
20. Whom would you most like to meet? – Michael Jordan.