Dejan Stankovic – 20 Questions, 20 Answers
1. What does football mean to you?
It is my life. I have dedicated my whole life to it.
2. Which football club did you support as a child?
Red Star Belgrade. I still support them.
3. Did you ever have an idol?
I didn’t really have an idol, but I did know how I wanted to play — like Marcel Desailly or Vladimir Jugovic. I wanted to be a midfielder who could win the ball but also play clever passes and score goals.
4. What is your fondest footballing memory?
I hope it is still to come! So far, it would have to be a game against Kaiserslautem.
(Ed.: a UEFA Cup first round match in the 1996-97 season. Red Star lost the away leg 1-0 but won the second game 4-0 after extra time. Stankovic, who was just 18 years old at the time, came on as a substitute at half-time and scored Red Star’s first two goals.) After that game, I realised I had a chance of making the grade.
5. What has been your biggest disappointment in football?
The World Cup in 2006 (Ed.: Serbia and Montenegro had comfortably qualified as group winners, conced¬ing only one goal in ten matches and finishing ahead of Spain. They then lost all three games in Germany and conceded ten goals).
6. If you had not become a professional footballer, what would you have become?
I don’t know. I started playing football when I was nine. There’s never been anything else for me.
7. What is your favourite type of music?
Serbian music but also folk, pop and rock.
8. And your favourite book?
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini.
9. Your favourite film?
10. Your favourite city?
11. What is your favourite food?
Italian or Serbian.
12. What is your favourite hobby?
I collect wristwatches.
13. What do you spend most of your money on?
Wristwatches, cars and travel.
14. What was your first job?
That came with my first contract as a professional footballer.
15. Who has been the most influential figure in world history?
Nikola Tesla (Ed.: the physicist who discovered alter¬nating current electric power).
16. What are you afraid of?
Illness and flying.
17. What was the most embarrassing moment in your life?
I have experienced many humiliating moments in football. Fortunately, I have so far managed to avoid any such unpleasant experiences in my private life.
18. How do you see the future of the world?
If we carry on the way we are, we will soon destroy it.
19. Where would you like to go on holiday?
There are many places I would like to visit, but I would love to watch the Super Bowl, a Daytona 500 NASCAR race and an NBA play-off match.
20. Who would you most like to meet?
YES OR NOW?
Do you watch football on TV? – Yes
Is it sometimes hard to motivate yourself for training? – Yes
Will Inter Milan win the Champions League this year? Yes and No
Is Kaka the best player in the world right now? – Yes
Wiil you finish your career at Inter Milan? – Yes
Would you like one of your three sons to turn professional? – Yes