Dwight Eversley Yorke – 20 Questions 20 Answers
1. What does football mean to you?
In a nutshell, it is something that gives me great satisfaction and something I totally enjoy doing while getting paid to do it. It has given me a lifestyle that would have been beyond my wildest dreams. And it’s made me a household name.
2. Which football club did you support as a child?
Tottenham Hotspur and my favourite players were Glenn Hoddle and Chris Waddle.
3. Did you ever have an idol?
The former England winger, John Barnes, who also came from the Caribbean (Jamaica) and worked his way up from Watford to become an absolutely legendary figure at Liverpool.
4. What is your fondest footballing memory?
The day I was handed my first professional contract in England by Aston Villa manager Graham Taylor. It was awesome. It fulfilled a childhood dream.
5. What has been your biggest disappointment in football?
Leaving Manchester United a touch too early.
6. If you had not become a professional footballer, what would you have become?
A policeman or something like that.
7. What is your favourite type of music?
Soul, R’n’B, R Kelly. A bit of everything.
8. And your favourite book?
Bill Clinton’s autobiography, a fascinating insight into the mind of someone who was the world’s most powerful man.
9. Your favourite film?
The Shawshank Redemption.
10. Your favourite city?
Sydney. Everything about the place.
11. What is your favourite food?
Italian, obviously West Indian, and Chinese.
12. What is your favourite hobby?
13. What do you spend most of your money on?
Not sure but I seem to spend my money on everything, especially clothes.
14. What was your first job?
I had a paper round when I was a schoolboy.
15. Who has been the most influential figure in world history?
Until now I’d never thought about that one but maybe it is Nelson Mandela.
16. What are you afraid of?
17. What was the most embarrassing moment in your life?
Locking myself out of my house in Manchester late at night. I tried to smash a window but couldn’t actually achieve that so I had to sleep in the car. People thought I was crazy.
18. How do you see the future of the world?
I am bit concerned because of global warming and the threat of terrorism. It’s mind-boggling.
19. Where would you like to go on holiday?
Fortunately, I’ve been to most places thanks to being a footballer so it would have to be somewhere totally different like Alaska.
20. Who would you most like to meet?
Tiger Woods. The guy is a born winner and a dominant force in golf. The guests at my ideal dinner party would include Tiger, Michael Jordan and Halle Berry.