Born: 20 December 1980 in Justiniano Posse, Argentina
Clubs: 1995-1998: Complejo Deportivo. 1998-2003: River Plate. Since July 2003: Bayern Munich.
Honours: 1999: winner of Argentinian Apertura. 2000, 2002 and 2003: winner of Argentinian Clausura. 2005 and 2006: winner of German league and cup double. Eight caps for Argentina, one goal.
20 Questions 20 Answers – Martin Demichelis
1. What does football mean to you?
It’s the sport that I enjoy so much that I turned professional; that’s why I respect and love it so much. It is a gift to be able to make a living from something as wonderful as the sport that is close to your heart. In short, it means more than many things in my life.
2. Which club did you support as a child?
Complejo Deportivo, the club from my home town of Justiniano Posse, and in professional football, River Plate.
3. Did you ever have an idol?
Yes, in football, Diego Maradona and Fernando Redondo.
4. What is your fondest footballing memory?
It would be unfair to single out one, so I’d prefer to mention the different milestones in my career, my first-division debut, winning the championship, moving to Europe and being called up to the national team.
5. What has been your biggest disappointment in football?
Not making Argentina’s squad for the 2006 World Cup.
6. If you had not become a footballer, what would you have become?
I don’t know exactly, because my parents were educated I would have had to continue my studies and I would no doubt have done something related to football or sport.
7. What is your favourite type of music?
Ciuirteto Por Porvenir from Cordoba.
8. And your favourite book?
Driven from Within by Michael Jordan.
9. Your favourite film?
Men of Honour, starring Robert de Niro.
10. Which is your favourite city? Buenos Aires.
11. What is your favourite food? Barbecued meat with my friends or family.
12. What is your favourite hobby?
Watching football or surfing the internet.
13. What do you spend most of your money on?
14. What was your first job?
Working as an office junior for River Plate when I finished secondary school.
15. Who has been the most influential figure in world history?
16. What are you scared of?
War, violence and world poverty.
17. What was the worst moment in your life?
When I left home at 15 to start out in this profession, my mother died.
18. How do you see the future of the world?
As an optimist, I never lose the hope that things will improve in every sense.
19. Where would you like to go on holiday?
I would like to travel the world with my family after ending my football career.
20. Whom would you most like to meet?
YES or NOW?
Do you now speake perfect German? – No
Will you become a coach when you retire? – Yes
Is Kaka the best player in the world right now? – No
Do you like horse riding? – Yes
Is it possible to compare Lionel Messi with Diego Maradona? – No