Born: 2 March 1982 in Rio de Janeiro (Brazil)
Nationalities: Brazilian, Panamanian and German
Height: 1.90 m
Clubs: 1988-1993: Serrano FC Petropolis (Panama). 1993-1994: Las Promesas Panama, 1994-1996: Serrano FC Petropolis. 1996-1997: Las Promesas Panama. 1997-2005: VfB Stuttgart. Since July 2005: Schalke.
Honours: 2004: Played in EURO in Portugal. 2008: Played in EURO in Austria and Switzerland. 78 goals in 193 Bundesliga matches. 46 international appearances for Germany, 19 goals.
Miscellaneous: He was born in Brazil and grew up in Panama. His family originally comes from Hungary on his father’s side. Kevin Kuranyi is married with a son and a daughter.
20 Questions 20 Answers
1. What does football mean to you?
It is my life.
2. Which football club did you support as a child?
3. Did you ever have an idol?
Yes, two – Romario und Garrincha.
4. What is your fondest footballing memory?
Fighting my way back into the German national team and reaching the quarter-finals of the UEFA Champions League with Schalke.
5. What has been your biggest disappointment in football?
Being left out of the Germany squad for the 2006 FIFA World Cup™ in Germany.
6. If you had not become a professional footballer, what would you have been?
I would have trained in a commercial field.
7. What is your favourite type of music?
8. And your favourite book?
9. Your favourite film?
Men of Honor.
10. Your favourite city?
Can I say two? Rio de Janeiro and Panama City.
11. What is your favourite food?
Feijoada — a bean stew that’s very popular in Brazil.
12. What is your favourite hobby?
Playing beach volleyball.
13. What do you spend most of your money on?
14. What was your first job?
I sold stones at school.
15. Who has been the most influential figure in world history?
16. What are you afraid of?
Nothing and nobody.
17. What was the most embarrassing moment in your life?
There have certainly been sad and serious situations in my life, but I can’t recall an embarrassing moment.
18. How do you see the future of the world?
Many challenges lie ahead of us. We must accept these and overcome them with humanity and respect for nature.
19. Where would you like to go on holiday?
To Bora Bora (Tahiti).
20. Whom would you most like to meet?
I can’t think of anybody I’d like to meet at the moment. I’d like to have spent more time with my grandfathers.
YES OR NO?
Will Schalke be German champions in 2008-09? Yes
Are you superstitious? No
Are you interested in women’s football? Yes
Are you vain? Yes
Is Kaka the world’s best footballer at present? No