Full name: Mary Abigail Wambach
Born: 2 June 1980 in Rochester, New York (USA)
Clubs: 2002-2003: Washington Freedom.
Since 2003: USA women’s national team.
Honours: 2004: 4th place in the voting for the FIFA Women’s World Player of the Year.
2007: adidas Silver Shoe at the FIFA Women’s World Cup in 2007. 122 international matches for the USA, 98 goals. Miscellaneous: At the FIFA Women’s World Cup in 2007, Wambach scored six goals in six matches, despite needing 11 stitches in her head after a collision with Korea DPR’s Ri Kum-Suk in the USA’s first match of the tournament. In the quarter-final against England, Wambach became the twentieth US woman and thirtieth US footballer overall to reach the 100-cap mark.
20 Questions 20 Answers
1. What does football mean to you?
It has allowed me to continue to play in a child-like manner at a professional level. It has allowed me to effect positive changes in the world.
2. Which club did you support as a child?
I was a fan of the NFL, the National Football League (American football). In soccer, I was a fan of the USA’s men’s national team. I loved watching those guys play. I watched the Switzerland v. USA match at the 1994 FIFA World Cup™ in my home country.
3. Did you ever have an idol?
I idolised a lot of the women’s national team players: April Heinrichs, Michelle Akers, Mia Hamm. Not only my idols, but my team-mates.
4. What is your fondest footballing memory?
I would say getting a gold medal wrapped around my neck in Athens alongside the pioneering women who paved the way for me.
5. What has been your biggest disappointment in football?
To date, probably the 2007 Women’s World Cup. It felt this was my first real chance as a leader of this team to make an impact. Unfortunately, it was a third-place medal, not what I was hoping for.
6. If you had not become a footballer, what would you have become?
When I retire, I will hopefully do a lot of things. I want to walk the Appalachian Trail and get to the summit of Mount Everest. I would like to help people and be a role model.
7. What is your favourite type of music?
I like to listen to more mellow music. Stuff that’s more reflective.
8. And your favourite book?
“A New Earth” by Eckhart Tolle
9. Your favourite film?
10. Which is your favourite city?
Probably San Francisco.
11. What is your favourite food?
Steak – medium rate.
12. What is your favourite hobby?
Right now, reading books and playing the guitar.
13. What do you spend most of your money on?
14. What was your first job?
Women’s professional soccer player.
15. Who has been the most influential figure in world history?
16. What are you scared of?
17. What was the worst moment in your life?
My first heartbreak.
18. How do you see the future of the world?
At times I feel scared for the future, but mostly happy about the moment right now.
19. Where would you like to go on holiday?
Somewhere warm and tropical.
20. Whom would you most like to meet?
The Dalai Lama.
YES OR NO?
Are you superstitious? Yes
taly defend their title at the 2010 FIFA World Cup™? No
Have you ever cried in the dressing room? Yes
Is Marta currently the best female player in the world? Yes
Do you wantto become a coach one day? Yes